Teen sets fire to Colleton Medical Center bathroom | News
Authorities say a teen set a bathroom on fire at Colleton Medical Center on Sunday afternoon.
According to a Walterboro Public Safety incident report, officers responded to the hospital on Robertson Boulevard just before 1 p.m. after receiving reports of a fire at a bathroom.
When they arrived, the fire had already been extinguished, and staff were sitting with the 15-year-old suspect. Hospital security said they found a lighter and a cigarette butt in the bathroom.
Police spoke to the teen, who told them it was his lighter and admitted to setting the bathroom on fire. He told officers his brother gave him the cigarette and the lighter.
The fire was lit in the paper-seat-cover dispenser, according to the report.
The teen was admitted to the hospital last Friday for medical treatment. He was charged with arson and released to the custody of his mother. He will face prosecution from the Department of Juvenile Justice.
An investigator will also be speaking with the teen's older brother, the report states.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.